Michael Teacher threw a Breakfast for Dinner Party after work this Friday. A handful of the Korean teachers joined us. It was low key, but entertaining nevertheless.
After a tasty meal, the games began. An interesting Korean drinking game is translated as "The Good Sense Game". Everyone starts in squating positions on the floor. You count the number of people in the room (Friday = 12). Then, the goal is to pop up and say the next consecutive number without being last. The real kicker is that if you shout a number simultaneously with another player, you have to take a shot. When two people fumble, everyone heckles and chants, "love shot, love shot, love shot or one shot, one shot, one shot." Now the two losers have to wrap their beverage hand around the other player's neck and hug while gulping down their shot along with their dignity...ha, ha, ha. The hilarious part is, we only made it to 12 once or twice. A good strategy is to not even move until 9 or so. Then you just laugh at everyone else.
Another comedic moment came when we were all just chatting. Kim jokingly blurted, "You Suck!" to the Korean teacher Joy. Joy promptly retorted, "Ha, ha...YU Suk...that's my father's name." Classic.
The true highlight of the night came much later when Jesse had disappeared for a while. The rest of us were still casually talking when we heard a breathless plea coming through the window, "I fell, I'm okay, I fell." We all stormed towards the window to find Jesse sprawled on the cement pavement holding his ankle with a suction cup towel rack in hand. What's going on??? Cue Jesse, "I was there (pointing to the building wall which he attempted to scale), and now I'm here (gesturing towards his humble abode on the sidewalk), with a such and such (nodding towards the flimsy suction cup towel rack)." Apparently, he had always talked smack about reaching the ledge above our building entry way and hollaring in the second floor apartment. Too bad our building is slick marble. P.S. Jesse, that towel rack probably can't withstand the weight of a towel, much less a human. But you just entered into the Korea's Most Memorable Moments Hall of Fame for awesomeness.
The next day was low key until we decided to venture to Gungdong, the college drag near our house. Of course, we stumbled onto a Korean battle of the bands event on the newly revamped Rodeo Drive. The first hip hop band got low to, "I want a jail girl, uh, uh, uh." At least we think that is what they said. We had a debate about possibilities and ended because that seemed the most humourous.
Next, Michael got sassy when he predicted the following boy band of four was surely going to belt out Boyz to Men. And they did. Their follow up song was a slightly altered version of R Kelly's, "I Believe I can Fly, I Believe I can touch A sky." Note "a" sky instead of "the sky." Oh, it is just the little things that keep us entertained. For example, the slightly crazy old man in front of us who kept raising his hand relentlessly to go on the stage. He finally won a Miney Mouse doll for all his hard work. He walked proudly away with his doll and bag of kimchi.
Then, there was the 12 year old girl who got to hug an attractive band member in mysterious aviator shades. She screamed bloody murder as she half embrassed him before fleeing the stage in embarassed bliss. Comedy. All night long comedy.
Signing off.
No comments:
Post a Comment